Advertisement

H&M hires a ‘DIVERSITY leader’ after racist ad image featuring a black boy wearing a ‘monkey in the jungle’ hoodie

0

H&M says it has appointed a ‘diversity leader’ after having been accused of racism over an ad showing a black boy dressed in a hoodie reading ‘coolest monkey in the jungle.’

H&M announced the move via its Facebook page on Tuesday evening, insisting that the group’s ‘commitment to addressing diversity and inclusiveness is genuine’ and that it had therefore chosen to ‘appoint a global leader, in this area, to drive our work forward’. The Stockholm-based company reiterated that ‘the recent incident was entirely unintentional’ but ‘demonstrates so clearly how big our responsibility is as a global brand’.

However, the move may have come too late for the brand to totally salvage its reputation, which has been dragged through the mud numerous times in the past few weeks as a result of the ‘insensitive’ image.

Several celebrities lent their voices to the furious criticism, with NBA star LeBron James and rapper Diddy among those who had responded with outrage to the ad.

Meanwhile, rappers The Weeknd and G-Eazy both cut ties with H&M, canceling their partnerships with the brand.

In South Africa, there were protests at some H&M stores, while the response has been somewhat more muted in Europe. The case highlights how important it has become for multinationals to take into account differences in cultural views and sensitivities between the markets it sells in. That’s especially true as social media makes it possible for an ad posted in one country to be shared and viewed anywhere else in the world.

H&M’s latest move comes just days after it was revealed that the parents of the young boy at the center of the controversy have had to move from their home in Sweden over fears for their safety – and the safety of their son.

Appearing on ITV’s This Morning on Monday, Terry – who initially raised eyebrows when she said critics should ‘get over it’ – and Frank said they have an ‘obligation to protect’ their children. ‘The most unfortunate thing is that my son is very young and there’s a lot that’s going to come with this and that really shakes me a little bit,’ Frank said on the show, before adding that Liam is unaware of the controversy around the picture. He believes people love him for his modeling job. He’s seen the pictures and he’s seen pictures online. He believes people love him for his modeling job and that he’s cool and confident in his job.’

Facebook selfie helps convict killer who strangled her best friend

0

A selfie helped convict a killer who strangled her best friend to death – because it shows her wearing the belt she used in the deadly attack.

Brittney Gargol, 18, was strangled to death by her best friend, Cheyenne Rose Antoine, 21, in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada in back in March 2015.

Cheyenne has now been found guilty of manslaughter thanks to the picture of the pair together. Brittney’s body was found dumped by a road south of Saskatoon on March 25, 2015, with a belt discovered nearby.

A photo of Brittney and Cheyenne had been posted to Facebook six hour before the body was discovered. The photo shows Cheyenne wearing a belt that matched the one found near the body, The Star Phoenix reports. Cheyenne also posted on Brittney’s Facebook, writing ‘Where are you? Haven’t heard from you. Hope you made it home safe,’ in an alleged attempt to cover her tracks.

Cheyenne initially told police that the pair had been out drinking the day before Brittney’s death but that she had gone home with an unknown man at the end of the night and did not know what had happened to her friend.

However, police later received a tip-off that Cheyenne had made a drunken confession to the killing, CBC reports. Cheyenne later admitted to the court that herself and Brittney had gotten into an argument, but that she does not remember killing her.

She pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to seven years in prison on Monday. In a statement released through her legal representative, Cheyenne said: ‘I will never forgive myself. Nothing I say or do will ever bring her back. I am very, very sorry…It shouldn’t have ever happened.’

 

Kemi Olunloyo found Jesus after spending six months in Maximum prison and thank Tiwa, Seyi Law’s daughter for emptying her savings account to save her life!

0

Controversial Nigerian Journalist, Kemi Omololu Olunloyo has revealed on her Instagram page, that she met with Christ in Port Harcourt, in the church pastored by her one time enemy Pastor David Ibiyeomie.

After serving 6 months in PH prison Ms. Oluloyo said she walked into Salvation Ministries yesterday after her afternoon mass, and she encountered the Kingdom of God like no other.

What she shared on her IG

Pastor @david_ibiyeomie officially helps me SURRENDER MY LIFE TO #JESUS

Yesterday Tuesday 16th of January 2018 marked 7 days I left #Portharcourt prison. Been doing outdoor therapy as instructed by my psychotherapist. Venturing out safely into neighborhoods which I’ve been doing as part of my treatment of depression. 

I normally go to 3pm prayers at the Catholic church down the street to get spiritual energy. Last night, I decided to go to New GRA to worship at #Salvationministries. I walked into the kingdom of God like no other.

This church was very different. I was lifted! They were having 4.30pm prayers after a 21 day fast. I joined them in an energized service in a God anointed mega church. I ate communion and drank wine. The Lord was everywhere!

After service I asked security personnel to meet Pastor Ibiyeomie privately in his office to pray for me. The men in black suits took me to a waiting room and then asked me to come in. There were 5 pastors in the room watching. Two were my prosecuting lawyers, then I walked up to him telling him I was the one he locked up in prison! I knelt down and he grabbed my hands. Suddenly my all day asthma wheezing and migraine vanished! He had divine powers of some kind. He prayed for me, told me he had FORGIVEN ME long time ago and repeated it in front of me again. I told him I was not bitter and have forgiven him too. I have decided to serve God and it will be through Salvation Ministries and him.

Pray that the holy spirit transforms #DavidIbiyeomie into a greater realm of sensitivity, revelation, and divine direction that will give birth to manifestation of the holy spirit in time for next week 22nd-26th January 2018 when he invited me for his #5NOG 5 nights of glory. He says miracles happen during that week.

My miracles started last night. I will give my compelling TESTIMONY soon. I am never leaving PH again.

I begin serving the Lord here working in his church and will stoop to conquer flying my flags with Jesus here at Salvation Ministries. The Home of Success! See you next week at 5 NIGHTS OF GLORY!! Isn’t God wonderful? 💒⛪😇 OluKemi Olunloyo @hnnafrica

Ms. Olunloyo also humbled herself to another enemy of hers, Tiwa who is comedian Seyi Law’s miracle daughter. Ms. Olunloyo is known for calling baby Tiwa unpleasant names and picking fights with her parents. But the story changed yesterday when baby Tiwa showed to be the bigger person after Ms. Oluloyo launched a fundraising for her deteriorating health after prison life. Baby Tiwa supposedly “emptied” her savings account to help Ms. Olunloyo.

Ms. Olunloyo took to her IG page to appreciate Tiwa and her parents.

#BREAKING HA!!! TIWA JUST EMPTIED HER SAVINGS ACCOUNT TO HELP AUNTY KEMI’S MEDICAL FUND!! @seyilaw1 tell my cute pumpkin #hnntiwa @fameuxtiwa thanks for her donation to my medical fund. You will NEVER LACK! This is your year of more blessings. Your family are FREE from evil IJN Amen– @HNNAfrica @kemiolunloyo. Love to Mommy Ebere. Thx for the phone call my brother. Come visit me in Ibadan when I recover and go home. I am smiling. My chest still hurts a lot but ma baby made me smile! #SeyiLaw is a Nigerian comedian and father to Nigeria’s most famous female toddler. FOLLOW #hnntiwa to see my journey with her. #HNNShowbiz #HNNComedy #hnnkemi #hnnhealth TO HELP #AuntyKemi First Bank 3020832750 Router/Sort code FBNINGLA Olukemi A. Olunloyo #KemiOlunloyo #MadamKOO

A post shared by KEMI OMOLOLU-OLUNLOYO 💻 🇳🇬📡 (@hnnafrica) on

Lanre Gentry: Why I was absent at Mercy Aigbe birthday

0

Star actress, Mercy Aigbe, might be going through a rough patch in her marriage, that did not stop her estranged husband, Lanre Gentry, from wishing her a happy birthday via his Instagram handle.

He said in the post, “Today, you are @40. Even though we are fighting I still say happy birthday to you because you are still my wife and my children mother as I use to call you ones again happy birthday to you Mercy Aigbe Gentry. Long life and God bless you (sic).”

His post excited some of the actress’ fans as they speculated that the couple could get back together this year.

The actress further fuelled the speculation when she began to follow her estranged husband on Instagram again. Despite the birthday wish, her husband’s absence at her birthday party was conspicuous.

Gentry revealed to Punch, why he was absent at his wife’s 40th birthday party especially at a time people felt they were making reconciliatory moves.

“The main reason I was not at her birthday party was that I was not in Nigeria on that day. I travelled to Dubai and I returned on Wednesday. Despite the fact that I was not in the country, I bought her a birthday cake and other gifts I would not want to mention because it is an issue between husband and wife,” he said.

He also recated to the news that his wife has started following him on Instagram again, Gentry, said he did not notice when she ‘unfollowed’ him on the micro-blogging site in the first place on account of his numerous followers. He also insisted that he had no problem with his wife.

He said, “Mercy and I are not fighting. We talk every day. I know that in the birthday wish I sent to her via Instagram, I wrote that we are still fighting but what I actually meant was not a real fight but the normal lovers’ quarrel. I am a very peaceful person and I don’t like fighting, most times, I compare myself to water which has no enemy.

“Mercy follows me on Instagram, so, I was surprised that the news went round that she is following me again. If she had ‘unfollowed’ me before, there was no way I would have noticed because I have a lot of followers on Instagram.”

Health minister chairs medical team treating Buhari’s son

0

The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, is chairing the medical team attending to President Muhammadu Buhari’s son, Yusuf, who was involved in a bike accident in Abuja recently.

Wife of the President, Aisha, disclosed this in a “thank you” message she posted on her verified Instagram page, aishambuhari.

She thanked all Nigerians for their prayers and the medical team who she said ensured that Yusuf remains stable while receiving treatment.

The message read, “On behalf of my family, I will like to thank well-meaning Nigerians for their prayers in the past week.

“Special thanks to the team of doctors and specialists who have worked tirelessly to ensure that my son Yusuf remains stable, most especially Nurse Eze Doris Eberechukwu of Nisa Premier; the medical team chaired by the Honourable Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Folorunsho Adewole; the team of neurosurgeons, Prof. Temitayo Sokunbi; Prof. B.B. Shehu; Dr. Biodun Ogunbo and Assistant Prof. M.Raji Mahmud; the team of orthopaedic surgeons, Dr. Felix Ogedengbe and Dr. Akinola; the intensivists, Dr. Simon Esangbedo; the Personal Physician to the President, Dr. Suhayb Sanusi; my personal physician, Dr. M. Kamal and the nurses have all ensured that he remains stable while receiving treatment.

“Also many thanks to Dr. Jaf Momoh, CMD of National Hospital Abuja and his team for their continuous support.”

Yusuf had on December 26 sustained head injury and had one of his limbs broken in a bike accident in Gwarimpa,

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, had in a statement said the President’s son had undergone a successful surgery and was in a stable state.

Video..The epic battle for baby Jesus. Christmas laughs

0

Watch this adorable video of a little girl who “kidnapped” Jesus during a Christmas play.

“We must understand English Language and speak it” Nigerian First Lady, Aisha Buhari advises Nigerian women on the importance of education

0

The Nigerian First Lady, Aisha Buhari, yesterday December 14th addressed Nigerian women and girls, particularly those residing in the Northern part of the country on the importance of education and adviced them to further their education so that they could avail themselves of opportunities that may arise in the future.

The advice was shared at the closing ceremony of the Skills Acquisition and Empowerment Training Programme initiated and sponsored by her pet project, Future Assured in Bauchi. She stated that it was after she got married that she furthered her education.

When I got married, I had only the secondary school qualification. I didn’t know that my husband would become president, but I continued with my education and this is where God has brought me to today. Education has become a compulsory thing that we must acquire. We must understand English Language and speak it, so that when any intervention comes, we will benefit from it. People should continue to go to school, even if you will not work in an office; but, go, so that when opportunities come up tomorrow, you will not be left out. Nobody should relent or give up going to school. We should keep reading and schooling for the benefit of the society.

TGIF check out this Photo of the day! Adorable photo-bomb that will melt your heart.

0

A few days ago, photographer, Ayeworan shared this adorable photo of this innocent little boy photo-bombing while the photographer was capturing event goer at a private event. He shared the photo with the caption below. We hope this makes you smile. TGIF

I was about taking a shot when this lil man came right in front of me to pose for a shot,had to suspend my shot to take his first. Moral lesson for me: Never look down on anyone,no matter how they dress or look. Also remember no one knows tomorrow. You never can tell this lil man could be Nigeria President someday..
Capture’Da’moment with ayaworanMEDIA HOUSE

Photo Cred: @ayaworanmediahouse

FG demands explanation from Italy over burial of 26 girls

0

The Federal Government has expressed dismay over the hasty burial of the 26 girls who were found dead on the Mediterranean Sea by Italian authorities nine days ahead of the slated date.

The bodies of the girls were found on a sinking vessel in the Mediterranean about two weeks ago and there where reports that they may have been sexually abused before they were murdered.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa told journalists in Abuja on Monday that the Italian Embassy had earlier indicated to the Director-General, National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons that the burial would take place in Salerno, Italy on November 26, 2017.

But the Italian authorities, she said, went ahead with the burial last Friday without informing the Nigerian government, adding that the NAPTIP director is currently in Italy to engage with the Italian authorities ahead of the scheduled burial date.

The SSA who addressed newsmen alongside a NAPTIP representative, Mr. Abdulrahim Shaibu, explained that a protest letter had been sent to the Italian envoy in Nigeria over the matter.

“Why were they (the bodies) hurriedly buried nine days before the date communicated to the DG, NAPTIP by the Italian Embassy without any information to Nigerian Government? Why the rush to bury the bodies without carrying out post-mortem to determine the causes of death?,” she queried.

Dabiri-Erewa said that information indicated that only three of the girls were identified as Nigerians, noting that the identities of the other victims had yet to be ascertained before they were interred.

She noted that another issue of concern was that the victims’ families may have wanted them buried in their countries of origin.

The SSA also condemned the reported sale of Africans in a Libyan slave market as broadcast by CNN, saying this was unacceptable, despicable and inhuman.

She said,”On the issue of Africans sold by Africans in Libya to Europe, as reported by the CNN in a report titled “People for sale; where lives are auctioned for $400”, this is totally unacceptable, despicable, and inhuman and should be condemned by anyone who is human and has blood running through their veins.”

The Presidential aide appealed to the African Union, European Union, the United Nations High Commission for Refugees, International Organization on Migration and the Economic Community for West African States to intervene in the matter and tackle the issue of slavery happening in Libya.

“The perpetrators of this heinous crime should also be sanctioned,” she said.

Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip mark 70th wedding anniversary

0

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip celebrate 70 years of marriage on Monday, becoming Britain’s first reigning couple to mark a platinum wedding anniversary.

The decades-spanning marriage of the Queen — the nation’s longest-serving sovereign — has outlasted those of all prior British monarchs.

The royal couple will not hold any public events but have invited family and friends to Windsor Castle for a private dinner on Monday evening, according to media reports.

Earlier in the day the bells of Westminster Abbey, where Elizabeth married the Duke of Edinburgh on November 20, 1947, will ring out in full celebratory peal.